Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Work History

It amazes me when I look back at the various jobs I've held since I was about 13 (almost 17 years). I enjoy the fact that I have had some experience I can draw from in many different areas, from digging and selling clams to doing concession, from raking blueberries to lifeguarding at a beach, from working a day camp to attending a pool, from teaching swim lessons to working in a physical therapy department, from teaching ballroom dance to officiating intramural sports, from being a sales associate at a department store to personal training, selling memberships, and operating a fitness facility, from selling windows to working on running our own fitness-related and other businesses (almost). One of the biggest lessons that I learned is that you cannot trust that things are always how you view them to be, and you need to make sure your eyes are always open to everything and you need to continue to educate yourself. Your "secure" job could be eliminated tomorrow and then what are you going to do? Well, it certainly has been a struggle since such a thing has happened to me several times over the past two years. But we are continuing to learn from it and we will be all the better for it as we come out of the situation with our bright future ahead of us.

I invite you to leave comment on what types of jobs you have held and what kinds of lessons you have learned along the way.

No comments: